7.29.2008

Two Hearts and a Ferris Wheel

So. I started this new idea. It's like a series of short stories called "Two Hearts". Here is the first one and I'm begging for your ideas and comments. Enjoy!

Elizabeth and David: Two Hearts and a Ferris Wheel

Everything about the fair was my favorite; even the gross livestock smell that settled over the grounds when the wind blew just right. Actually, I wasn’t sure it was the fair that I loved so much. I loved that his hand was in mine and that I had the three people I cared about most with me. A double date, what a perfect idea! I looked over to see Mae, her blonde curls blowing slightly in the wind, laughing at James as he somehow managed to stuff an entire hot dog in his mouth. He raised his hand in the air triumphantly, then leaned over the nearest trashcan and spit it out. Mae’s face was priceless as she grimaced and looked away. My completely crazy two best friends, Mae and James, where on a date because I had wanted to go out with the one I loved most.
David
I looked up into his eyes, watching how the fair booth lights danced in them. He looked down at me and kissed me nose gently, a smile spreading across his face. James dragged Mae by the hand ahead of us, running and dodging the bunches of people that wandered around the fair. The last thing I saw was Mae’s pink shirt and big blonde hair darting around a booth. I knew nothing was going to happen between them. Mae’s boy, Tyler, was on a mission in Arizona and James was currently just dating around. They had been best friends since fifth grade and how I envied the time they had together that I didn’t have with them. David noticed my sad face and squeezed my hand.
“Want to follow them?” He asked softly, his breath tickling my ear.
I shied away, secretly loving the feeling. “They left on purpose.” I replied in a matter of fact tone.
“Oh.” He led me around the back of a booth, a little out of sight and put his hands on my waist. “Got it.” Slowly, David’s came closer and I could feel my eyes wanting to close. His breath was sweet on my lips and he finally pressed his lips to mine. The familiar tingle shot up my spine and I shivered, loving the sensation. He pulled back and I smiled, looking into his eyes. I bit my lip and silently begged for more but he refused, taking my hand and leading me to a line. I leaned against him, breathing in his scent. Closing my eyes, I relished the feeling of him holding me. The tinkle of a familiar laugh made me open my eyes.
There were Mae and James, a couple up on the ferris wheel. Mae’s face was lit up, waving enthusiastically at us. James was yelling and trying to get our attention. I looked up and waved, suddenly wanting to go on the ferris wheel. As if reading my mind, David ducked out of line and we ran to the ferris wheel one. The huge wheel rotated slowly as Mae and James got further to the top.
So many wishes were running through my mind. This fair had already been fun and romantic but we were leaving in a little while and I needed David to do something really cute. My whole heart longed for it while my brain told me not to expect too much. The smell of fair food tempted my senses while we stood there waiting, David whispering cute things in my ear as he hugged me from behind. Nothing could have been more perfect.
We stepped onto the metal platform and waited for our cart. It was green and white, my favorite colors. David held my hand and helped me in, holding open the little door. So far, so good. Cuddled together on one end of the cart, we rose into the night sky, getting closer and closer to the stars. My smile kept betraying me as I tried to play coy and uncertain. David could tell I loved it and he left a trail of kisses up my jaw line, smiling as he kissed me. My heart punched against my ribs, threatening to pop out, but I didn’t care. The wheel stopped with us at the top and I looked up into the sky, then down below at the people milling around. Couple holding hands, families out for fun, groups of girls, groups of boys; everyone was out at the fair. David called back my attention by whispering my name and kissing right below my ear on my jawbone. The look in his eyes that I found was so deep, my entire body went numb and super sensitive in one second.
“I want to tell you something.” David whispered. I didn’t say anything but let him continue. From the pocket of his jeans he pulled a little ring. My jaw dropped. What in the world? We were young: sixteen and eighteen. It couldn’t be... “I want to give you something.” A deep breath made his cheeks puff out funny. Then he looked back up at me, his eyes so full of love. “Elizabeth, I want to give you a promise.” He took the ring out of the box. It was a simple band with a little pearl elegantly laid in it. The touch of his hand sent goosebumps flying across my skin as he silently slid on the ring. “I love you.” He whispered. My eyes wouldn’t leave the ring until I felt his gentle touch under my chin, lifting it up to look at him. “I love you.” He whispered again, this time more intensely. Then he kissed me; a gentle kiss, full of love and tenderness.
I pulled back and looked at him, sucking on my bottom lip. The words were right there. “I love you.” They came out as a breathless whisper but exactly as I planned. He smiled and kissed me again, still smiling through the kiss.
As the ferris wheel began it’s journey back to the ground, I snuggled up to David and gazed at the ring; it was so simple but incredibly priceless.
Mae and James were waiting for us at the bottom of the ferris wheel, Mae with a trucker hat dangling in her hands and James with a stupid looking grin on his face and a balloon hat on his head. I could see the look in Mae’s eyes as we hit the ground. She knew; she always knew. James was oblivious but smiled and started babbling about something as soon as we reached him. I didn’t really hear anything. My brain was all jumbled with thoughts of David and concentrating hard on remembering every second, every touch, every smile, every kiss. Mae looked at me silently, her blue eyes dancing with fair lights. She wanted what I had, she had told me before, but right now I knew she was happy for me. She smiled, her eyes crinkling up. Yes, she was happy for me. And I knew someday she’d find a prince, just like I had, and he would be one lucky guy. Mae looked away, distracting James by pulling him in the opposite direction we were going, winking at me as they left.
The night seemed to last forever and I couldn’t have asked for anything better. The fair lights slowly turned off and the crowds were herded towards the exit, but it didn’t matter. David’s hand was still in mine and everything about the fair was still my favorite. Especially the ferris wheel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LookLookLook! I hunted down your blog! ily