New addition to the Two Hearts stories. Enjoy and comment.
Nicole and Lee: Two Hearts and a Homecoming
The airport was virtually empty at five in the morning on June 11, 2010. And it was freezing. My legs were covered in goose bumps as I waited in the designated area in the Boise airport. Huddled in my over-sized, navy blue BYU sweatshirt, my silky white shorts and flip-flops must have looked strange. My golden hair was tied in a low messy bun and I had put in pretty white earring for some reason. Little, seven-year-old Sydney was holding one of my hands and in the other I had one of those cheesy balloons that read “Welcome Home” in big white letters.
That past two years of my life had basically built up to this moment. Sure, I had gone on dates but I hardly even looked at guys, I was so absorbed in my books. I just had to get into BYU and while my motivation was in Arizona, that was all I focused on. When the acceptance letter came, I was so excited but vowed that he would not know until he came home. Today was the day he found out where I was to attend college in the fall. Little did he know it would be with him.
Sydney tugged on my sleeve. “Nikki, when is he going to come?” her big brown eyes stared up at me hopefully.
“Soon Sweet pea. Soon.”I looked longingly towards the gates, wanting him to come out.
Around me were possibly more people then in the rest of the airport combined. His grandparents, parents, six of his even siblings [one was on a mission in South Carolina], cousins, aunts, uncles, our bishop and me were all hovering, standing, sitting, waiting for him to walk out. People began coming out and everyone was on their feet, searching the crowd. After awhile the crowd thinned and he still wasn’t there. Whispers and worried looks were exchanged but a little shout from McKay caught everyone’s attention.
And there he was, in his black suit and blue tie I had sent him for Christmas, helping an elderly lady with her carry on. Tears threatened my eyes as I watched him. Finally he looked up and my heart jumped. Two years apart didn’t quench the fire I had burning in my heart for him. He still held the key.
Lee: the boy that stole my heart right before he left. The boy that had tutored me in math and I had frustrated for no end. The boy who I admired and respected from the moment I met him at age eleven. He had occupied my attention for two years through letters and one video tape. A complete genius. A fantastic missionary. A great friend. Lee was everything I ever wanted. Oldest of eight, he was amazing with little kids and set the best example for them.
I watched this perfect boy hug his mother and little siblings. Tears came back as I watched father and son shake hands, staring into each others eyes, speaking what couldn’t be said. It seemed like the family took forever. Our bishop stepped forward with a pproud smile on his face. After a handshake, people began to step back until Lee could see me perfectly. My face flushed red as I looked around his family nervously. The moment we locked eyes, my heart pitter-pattered and I took a couple hesitant steps towards him. A smile broke out across Lee’s face and he ran towards me. I felt him wrap his arms around my waist, lifting me into the air and swinging me around. He set me down and just held both my hands in his, looking into my eyes.
“Hi.” A grin spread across his face.
It was contagious. “Hi.”
Lee’s smile disappeared and he got a worried look. “I don’t think I was supposed to hug you.”
My heart sunk. Was he going to get in trouble? Bishop smiled. “We’ll forgive this one. But from now on...”
“Right.” Lee stepped back, his eyes never leaving mine.
Everything inside of me was going crazy. Even my kidney was freaking out, I swear. The feel of his hands tenderly holding mine had sent tingles shooting down my spine and goose bumps on my arms and chills over my entire body. Another hand grabbed mine and I looked down to see Sydney.
“Balloon.” She mouthed overdramatically, her eyes wide. Shyly I handed Lee the balloon, then looked down for approval and she nodded, smiling.
The group moved to get Lee’s luggage and the looks he kept giving me over his shoulder were absolutely wonderful. I tried to pay attention to Sydney, really, but that brother of hers was just so distracting. It was amazing to me that she was still latched on to me, even though Lee was home. However, he was getting quite enough attention without her there. And it was nice to be able to have someone that paid attention to me.
“Nikki, did you know Lee told mommy that he liked you? Wouldn’t that be so great if you got married to Lee? ‘Cause then you could be my sister like Sam is and we could play and read stories and make play dough and those funny dolls you know how to do. Wouldn’t that be fun Nikki?”
Giving her hand a squeeze, I smiled. “Syd, that would be great.” My eyes drifted to Lee. “That would be the best thing in the world.”
As if he heard me, Lee looked back, blue eyes glittering, and smiled.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment