8.04.2008

Two Hearts and a Snowfall

Yay!

Nicole and Lee: Two Hearts and a Snowfall

The soft breathing of Lee woke me gently, finding myself entangled in his arms. The fire embers were still just holding on, casting soft shadows across the cabin room. Everything was still, not silent, just still. I held up my left hand and watched the diamond glitter in the dim light, a smile finding its way onto my lips. Lee shifted and I repositioned myself to fit into the curve of his body.
“I love you.” This whisper tickled my ear and in the darkness, I smiled. Gently, Lee kissed right below my ear and goose bumps rose on my flesh. Crazy, but his kisses still thrilled me.
Rotating myself in his arms so I was facing him, I cuddled up to him and kissed his cheek. In his strong arms, I felt completely safe. The silky down blanket rubbed against my bare feet as Lee pulled the blanket around us. In the security of his arms, I fell back to sleep.

ξξξ

The endless windows in the cabin reflected a wish that was hidden deep in my heart. There was no way anyone could come up today; there was way too much snow. Arms wrapped around my waist, pressing a hot mug into my hand. Lee gently swayed back and forth, his head in the crook of my neck, humming a delicate melody. My heart flipped when I felt his nose in my hair; no matter how hard he tried to hide that he smelled my hair, I always knew. The cabin was cold and crisp. Although in my pj bottoms and a sweatshirt, I still shivered and Lee held me closer, if that was possible.
“Good morning beautiful.”
I sniffled and put the mug to my lips, relishing the warmth that spread through my chest. The snow outside fell silently, blanketing the entire world around us. Here we were, locked in this mountain hideaway with no one to bother us. Just time. Another sip of the chocolate burned my tongue and I automatically let a hurt noise out. Lee stopped rocking.
“You okay?”
“Burnt my tongue.” I murmured. He gently pulled the hot chocolate from my hands and let go of me. I turned to see him walking towards the counter. Blonde hair still a mess, in his blue flannel bottoms and a white short sleeve undershirt, Lee was the most perfect thing I had ever seen. My heart pitter-pattered as I watched him walking around the kitchen. My feet took me towards him, just wanting to be with him.
“Hungry?” He asked, his blue eyes looking up from the fridge and locking with mine.
I hummed and stepped in front of him. The look he gave me was funny but I just smiled and took his face in both my hands, kissing him tenderly. His arms locked around me again, pressing me to his rock solid body. It was exhilarating. Not wanting to, but knowing I should let him breathe, I pulled back and just stared him right in the face.
“Yeah, I’m hungry.” His eyes searched mine, looking for something I knew he would find eventually. “Cinnamon rolls. And milk. And eggs. And bacon.” Our eyes never left each other.
Lee nodded slowly, his hair flopping into his face. “Okay.” The word came out like a whisper or a sigh. I wasn’t quite sure which. One more quick kiss and I pulled away but he caught me and drew me back to him. “Not so fast-”
“Lee, you let me go right this second.” My voice was firm but the smile on my face betrayed me. When he made no effort to loosen his grip, I pushed him hard in the chest. “Lee Yorgason, you let me go!” Lee’s eyes twinkled brilliantly and a huge, mischievous smile spread across his face. Trying to get as upset as I could, I made a face at him and crossed my arms as best I could because he was holding me tight. An idea flicked across my mind but Lee’s mind was two seconds faster. Before I could even carry out my plan, Lee had touched my ticklish spot on my waist and flung me over his shoulder. “Ah! Lee put me down! Lee! Riley Allen Yorgason put me down!” Teasingly, I beat my fists on his back. Then I was falling, and wishing I was still in his arms. The couch caught my fall and he looked at me with a grin. I made the maddest face I could, glaring up at him. But his face was so stinkin’ cute I couldn’t stay mad.
“Cinnamon rolls? Did we get frozen ones?” Lee walked back up the steps to the kitchen area with his back towards me.
Getting up quietly, I ran after him, my footsteps hollow on the wood of the floor. Lee looked back in time just to see me jump on his back. He swung me around playfully before letting me down on the floor. Before he could catch me, I darted down the hall to the bathroom and locked the door. I took my time putting on my mascara and fixing my curly mess of hair.
“Nicole! Do we have salt?” What a silly question. Of course we had salt. Unlocking the bathroom door, I made my way to the kitchen. My heart sighed when I saw a bouquet of white lilies on the table and two plates, piled high with steaming food. And there was my boy in a red apron that belonged to his mother, trying to act like he hadn’t done anything special.

ξξξ

Lee twisted his fingers in the loose curls of my hair, gently weaving them in and out, just playing with my hair. Leaning against his knees, with a composition book on my lap was not as comfortable as I would have liked it to be but I loved this moment too much to argue. Snow was falling gently again and the fire was roaring, casting shadows by which I was trying to write. It wasn’t working too well. Sugar cookies were in the oven creating an aroma that reminded me of home. This felt like something out of a novel. Finally I shut my composition book and laid it on the table next to me. Today had been perfect: playing board games and making cookies, teasing and tickling, and quiet moments when all that we could hear was the wind and fire. I climbed onto Lee’s lap and laid my head on his shoulder. Silently, he pulled the blanket around us and held me securely in his arms. For a moment, we listened: listened to the snow falling, the fire crackling, the oven buzzing, our hearts racing.
“When hearts race, both shall win.” Lee said quietly, running his hand up and down my arm slowly.
A quote stuck out in my mind, one I had memorized years ago. “Take my hand and grow young with me; don’t rush; don’t stop; be a beginner; light the candle; keep the fire; dare to love someone; tell yourself the truth; stay inside the rapture.”
"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand." Lee gently began stroking my hair.
The quote war had begun.
"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within." That was one of my favorites. So true for our relationship. Both of us were brave enough to take off the other’s mask. Like the scene in The Phantom of the Opera where Christine takes off the Phantom’s mask.
“The entire sum of existence is the magic of being needed by just one person.” No fair! That was my favorite quote of like ever and he knew it.
“You win.” I mumbled, pretending to be upset.
Lee chuckled and kissed my cheek, knowing I was kidding. The scent of him filled my nose and I couldn’t help but smile. “I love you.” My heart jumped. Lee pulled the blanket tighter and curled up on that little couch in the middle of nowhere, the fire slowly dying and the snow gently falling, I fell asleep, completely in love with Lee.

No comments: